The Girl Guards were comprised of Company K, organized in 1889, and Company H, organized in May 1890, after the bill for admission as a State passed the U.S. House of Representatives. They were two groups of women who came together to become ceremonial drill companies. They trained with the Army at Fort Russell and had an active role in the statehood celebration. During the celebration parade, Company K flanked both sides of the second carriage which the standard bearer, Fannie Ollerenshaw, rode in. Company H was the guard of honor to the statehood float that followed at the end of the line of carriages.